5 Reasons Why Patients Dislike Going to the Dentist
Unfortunately, for some, the dentist might be a less than pleasant experience. Your dentist will do everything they can to soothe your anxiety, but sometimes it can’t be helped. This is a list of 5 reasons why patients dislike going to the dentist. Sure there are more but these are the most common:
- The Drill. The sound of the drill sets patients on edge. There isn’t anything worse than lying in the chair with the drill coming directly at you. Sometimes dentists will have headphones and a TV on the ceiling to distract you. If you are one of the patients that can’t stand the sound of the drill, it’s a good idea to put the headphones on and turn the volume up loud to drown out the sound. The dentist has to use these instruments, it’s the only way to repair your teeth.
- The Smells. Ever walk into the dentist off and wonder what that smell is. Well, hopefully it the smell of cleaning items that has sterilized the office. Dental offices are required to use strong alcohol wipes and specialized cleaners to make sure the instruments they use on patients are sterile. It’s necessary to avoid any type of contamination. When you smell “the smell”, just know the office is clean and rid of harmful contaminants.
- The Lectures. Man how much we hate to go the dentist and get a lecture that we aren’t doing enough to take care of our teeth. We aren’t flossing properly; we aren’t brushing good enough, or we have a complete lack of dental care. The best thing you can do for your teeth is take care of them, they’re the only ones you’re going to have. The dentist and hygienist just want to make sure you know how to properly care for your teeth and gums. It’s their job.
- The Cost. Sometimes the cost can be more than you planned when it comes to dental work. Just know that the dentist is the owner/employer and needs to be able to pay for their equipment, supplies, and most importantly, their employees. They will do everything they can to keep the costs down, but they have to charge something for their time. And no, your filling doesn’t pay for their boat.
- The Memories. The biggest complaint by patients is their fear of the dentist because of previous memories they had as a child. The dentist understands and will do everything they can to make your visit more pleasant.
Heritage Dental Associates can help you with all of your fears of the dentist. Schedule your next cleaning now.